My Journey Into Art

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fly Away

My birthday was yesterday and I got a bunch of new art supplies from my family as gifts.  One thing in particular I was really looking forward to trying was a set of Turner Acryl Gouache.  It's different than regular gouache in that once it's dry, it won't get reactivated so adding layers won't interfere with what's already there.  I spent the evening playing with them and I really, really love them.  They dry to a matte finish and it's very smooth.  This is a like a combination of opaque watercolors and acrylic paints.  I went with a more illustrative look for this painting by copying an image I found in a book that I took out from the library.  I was attracted to the illustrations when I saw the book.  It was in Bengali so I wasn't able to figure out who the artist was. I have been on kick of trying out new styles and themes.

Edited to add:  After doing some googling, the illustrator is Leo Lionni.  This practice painting is for personal use only.

20130131-IMG_3814-1

2 comments:

  1. It's marvelous! It looks like you had fun doing this. Love the colors and the bold play of patterns.

    ReplyDelete