My Journey Into Art

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

Firstly, I'd like to wish you a very Happy New Year.  I hope it is filled with lots of love, laughter and good health for the coming year.

My word for 2013 is TRANSFORMATION - spiritually, artistically, physically and interpersonally.

I have begun reading Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. I plan to work through the course in the coming months.

This year I want to try to pay more attention to the little whispers inside me.  You know the ones, where when you have to make a decision and your inside heart tells you the answer but it may not be the same as what your brain is telling you.  In the end, I find that had I listened to those whispers, my source, I would have had a better outcome.

I feel called to be of service in some way.  This feeling has been sitting with me for the last couple of months.  I finally did something about it.  I am going to be volunteering my time with two non-profits.  I have a third in mind but haven't worked out the details yet.  I will elaborate more on this in a future post.

Artistically speaking, I want to continue to explore different mediums and styles until my style emerges.  I don't know what that is yet.  I would like to also continue to find opportunities to enter my work in exhibitions, or other venues.

I plan to have a regular art journal practice.  I am going to do Journal Fodder 365: Daily Doses of Inspiration for the Art Addict by Eric Scott and David Modler with a group on the Art Journaling Ning.

I'm participating in a group called A Piece a Week.  Hopefully I will be able to complete a piece of artwork every week.  How cool will that be?!

I'm also doing the year long course called True Free Spirit with Mindy Lacefield.

I'm very excited to see where all of this takes me.

On the physical aspect, I plan to continue with my weightloss efforts and exercise.  I will be finishing the Couch to 5K program by the end of the month.  By then, I will be able to jog/run for 30 minutes straight. This seems like such an incredible feat for me. My plan is to enter my first 5K sometime in Spring once I build up my speed and distance. That's been on my bucket list forever.  My hope is that I will be at my goal weight/size by summer.  I will continue to go to the gym three days a week and run three days a week with a rest day on Sunday.

Interpersonally, I want to expand my friendship circle with new arty friends and rekindle old friendships that I let lapse.  2012 was a year filled with ups and downs for me personally and when I feel out of sync, I find it hard to be outgoing and personable.  I tend to retreat inward.  As a result, invitations to go out stopped coming after repeatedly being turned down.  That was completely my fault. I realize that I need my tribe.  I feel the void. My girlfriends filled me up in a way that's different from my husband (my relationship with him is great so it's not something lacking with us).  There's a sisterhood, a knowing, a comfort, a belonging that I felt with these women. My experiences with them were rich and soulful to me. I want to have that back in my life.

I'm very excited to see where this year of transformation takes me.  I have high hopes for this year.

This is the first page of my art journal for 2013.


20130101-IMG_3537-1

16 comments:

  1. First of all, that image is beautiful.

    It's amazing (and kind of spooky) how many of our resolutions and plans for 2013 are similar. I'm probably going to post them later this week. I've got personal connection and service on mine too- in fact, we're heading out to the cat shelter right now!

    *huge hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my services are with non-profit cat organizations. How funny is that?! Another similarity there!

      Delete
  2. Happy 2013! I've joined the piece a week group (which is how I found you). I'm working on many similar things myself. It sounds like you have a good plan laid out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyra! Thank you for stopping by. I went to visit your website...holy smokes you are a very talented lady! I love your Alice in Wonderland series. The time lapse video was awesome!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful visual for your plans. You have motivated me to do an art journal page for my word: celebrate. xo Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya! Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I'm glad that I motivated you to work in your art journal. "Celebrate" is s a great word for the year.

      Delete
  4. Visiting from Art Journal every day. :)

    I love how your first art journal page of the year reflects the word you've chosen for the year and the goals and thoughts wrapped up in that-- energetic and centered, peaceful with a purpose. It's also very pretty! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah. And thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All the best to you as well!

      Delete
  5. You've created an inspiring opening page for your journal! Journal Fodder is my all time favorite journaling book. I'd love to learn more about the Ning group you've joined based on their book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! The group is at http://www.artjournaling.ning.com There is a group on there called Journal Fodder 365. Join in!

      Delete
  6. Steph your journey is so inspiring! By putting it 'out there' you've achieved all of these things and so much more already. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melissa. I'm hoping to make this year really count. I'm ready to put in the work and receive whatever the Universe has to offer. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. love this its so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hope. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Kristen! Joy is a great word for the year! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete